Measuring your Blood Pressure, Height, Weight and BMI
Many of you may not be aware that we have an automatic blood pressure (BP) machine and a height, weight, BMI machine in the surgery, for patients to use free of charge. Monitoring your blood pressure on a regular basis has many benefits for you and also helps your GP to manage your conditions better. The machines are located on the first floor to the right of the double doors leading off the waiting room in our ’Health Zone’.
The benefits of self monitoring;
- Encourage improved control - By monitoring your BP on a regular basis you will be in a better position to act upon any changes that may occur.
- Help track your treatment - See the progress of new medications for yourself, remember to feedback your results to your GP.
- Help make an early diagnosis of high blood pressure - Some of us do not realise we have high blood pressure until it's too late. Taking a bit of time to check your BP could help identify a problem so that you get the appropriate treatment as soon as possible.
- Check if your blood pressure is different outside the doctor's office - We all know that seeing the GP can add a little stress so comparing results in and out of the consultation room will give you a better idea of your blood pressure reading.
- If you have been advised to lose weight, you can monitor your weight loss with a regular ‘weigh-in’.
If you use either the height, weight, BMI machine, or the BP machine, please hand your readings to the receptionist at the desk on the first floor. The receptionist will add your readings to your record. If you have taken your BP reading the receptionist will advise if you need to do another reading, or if you need to see a doctor or Nurse for follow up.
How to use the Blood Pressure Monitor Machine